It’s been quite a week:
- Nancy Pelosi & leading Democrats claim to see evidence that “foreign powers” are attempting to interfere with the workings of Congress and the upcoming US election;
- Oh wait, Trump wants to delay that election because of the non-existent problem of mail fraud?
- Antitrust hearings take the big tech giants to task for their monopolistic models;
- Over here our own Russia Report tells us that almost nothing has been done about Russian interference into UK democracy;
- And users are forced to boycott Twitter over their unwillingness to remove overtly antisemitic tweets posted by a celebrity musician;
- UK ministers applaud the boycott from the sidelines, seemingly forgetting the fact they are the ones that could mandate Twitter to do something about it.
All in a week’s work. For concerned citizens it is overwhelming. Too much information to take in and process. We used to rely on editors to do that job for us…
The world’s anti-democratic malefactors may not have designed this state of affairs but it certainly suits their agenda.
We are used to the 20th century model of democratic death: the army takes over, elections are suspended and protest is forbidden.
But democracies in the 21st century won’t die the same way. Instead the facade of democracy will continue – elections will carry on, our leaders will be “politicians” – but the core will have been hollowed out.
This is not speculation. It has already happened. Look at Poland, where Andrzej Duda was just narrowly re-elected. Look at Russia. Look at Hungary. Look at Turkey. Democracy is fragile.
We at Fair Vote UK say enough is enough. We will not be next. And we’re up for the fight.
It is not too late.