Job Description: Legislative Director
Fair Vote UK is hiring a legislative director to lead in its campaigning and lobbying work around the Westminster Online Safety Bill (as it impacts democracy and society) and Electoral Integrity Bill as well as drive similar devolved legislative work in Scotland and Wales. While the position and approach have been agreed, it is now time to ensure that safeguarding and future-proofing UK elections specifically and the democratic environment broadly are prioritised.
In this role you’ll:
- Work with our existing coalition of MPs to drive policy aims;
- Expand our MP network, building relationships in all parties;
- Do the same as above with Welsh AMs and Scottish MSPs;
- Engage in coalition work across the democracy sector, sometimes leading, sometimes supporting, always collaborating when it makes sense;
- Oversee the day-to-day with the campaigns and policy officer’s work;
- Have the space to be innovative, creative and strategic.
Ideally, you’d have:
- Experience constructing, amending and engaging with Parliamentary legislation;
- Experience running public-facing campaigns;
- Experience working in coalition with other civil society orgs;
- Knowledge of electoral law in the UK;
- Knowledge of big tech’s impact on democracy and the reform agenda;
- Some public speaking/MP communication experience.
This role is right for you if:
- You have 4+ years of experience, though don’t let this dissuade if you think you’ve got what it takes to deliver;
- You are looking for a small team that is nimble, responsive and focused on outcomes over increasing twitter followers;
- You are looking for flexibility. We aim to get the job done, not watch the clock.
- You care about democracy and the rule of law.
The details are:
- Flexible at 3-4 days a week over 5 at FTE of £38,000-£45,000 per year;
- 12-month consultant contract with paid annual leave at FTE of 25 days a year plus bank holidays;
- Starting as soon as possible.
Fair Vote UK was set up in the wake of the Vote Leave and Cambridge Analytica scandals. Our mission is to tackle the issue of data misuse, voter manipulation and lack of transparency in elections head-on. We are committed to ensuring the institutions that protect our democratic processes are fit for purpose in a digital age. The next year is consequential for this agenda.
Fair Vote UK is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Fair Vote UK encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected under the law.
How to apply:
- Send a CV, covering letter, social media profiles, link to your LinkedIn or whatever you think necessary to make your case for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll reply to everyone we are able to interview!